NASTC AIARE Avalanche Classes
AIARE REC 1 COURSE DESCRIPTION
Skier or Rider Skill Level: strong intermediate to expert
Price: $495 (sale til Nov 1 $50 off)
The AIARE curriculum is a 3-day intensive seminar designed to give you an understanding of avalanche formation, “nature’s billboard” observation skills, the ability to use an avalanche transceiver and probe and how to dig a snow study pit. This is a minimum amount of know-how if you want to travel, ski or ride in the backcountry or sidecountry safely. There is time spent daily in the classroom and in the field.
The goals of the course are:
- The student will be taught safe travel methods in avalanche terrain including trip planning and preparation, interpretation of the avalanche bulletin, observational techniques for snowpack, weather, avalanches, terrain analysis, safe travel techniques, and decision-making fundamentals
- The student be will shown how to use various rescue equipment, and companion rescue protocols
- The student will be taught how to execute mock rescues in the field
- The student will be introduced to the avalanche triangle, weather, snowpack, terrain and the human factor
- Attain Level 1 certification upon successful completion
We will meet at 8:00am at The Cedar House Sport Hotel (Truckee, CA). We will begin promptly with an indoor orientation and classroom work. Please be on time. Day 1 & 2 we will be in the classroom until lunch with our afternoons in field. Day 3 we will spend 1-hr in the classroom and the rest of the day in field. Our schedule will include indoor talks and outdoor fieldwork each day – be sure to dress in layers. You will have a chance to change into warmer clothes for the field session. The course runs 8:00am – 5:00pm each day with a break for lunch. We suggest a bag lunch with snacks and plenty of water.
We will send you an updated itinerary as we get closer to the start of the course. This schedule may change slightly based on the group, weather, etc. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call the NASTC office.
Visit our site for the 1-day Rescue Course, the AIARE Rec 2 and Backcountry Guiding.
Background info:In 2018 AIARE (The American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education) created both a recreational and a professional path for avalanche education providers. As a provider for 10 years, NASTC offers the “AIARE Rec 1” and “AIARE Rec 2” courses for the general public and the Pro 1 for professional instructors, patrollers, and guides. If you are a pro, you want the Pro path (Rescue Course, Pro 1, Pro 2). Click here for NASTC’s Pro path (we offer the Pro 1). You can also see avtraining.org for more info.