Rock Climbing Camp, August 5 - 9
CLIMB HIGHER, SEE MORE
Lead by American Mountain Guide Association (AMGA) certified climbing guides, Rock Climbing Campers will learn how to conquer the granite slabs, crags and pitches of Donner Summit, and other unique, user friendly locations in the Sierra Nevada.
Types of Climbs – Campers will learn to scramble and boulder as well as climb. Campers will spend most of the week climbing vertically on 5.0 to 5.10 rated ascents (see interpretive scale here). Most climbs are top rope, meaning campers are protected by a rope anchored from above and belayed from the ground. Campers will also rappel and Tyrollean traverse from point to point!
Group Dynamics – This camp is for beginner to advanced climbers from 8 years old to 14 years old. Groups are split by age and ability to ensure ideal group dynamics, fun and learning opportunities.
New Campers – Will learn basic climbing and scramble techniques like:
- Legs – Your legs are the strongest part of your body, use them more than your arms to climb with more ease and coordination
- Hang – Extend your arms straight so your body weight hangs on your skeleton rather than your biceps and lat muscles. Conserving energy for the rest of the route is the best approach!
- Trust Your Climbing Shoes – Rubber climbing soles are incredibly grippy, sometimes it takes a while to realize just how useful this can be. Trust your foot placements by pressuring into the rock and standing up – use that grip!
- Refine the Basics – Refine the above techniques on more difficult climbs.
- Learn to Belay and Mange Rope – Assisted by AMGA guides, campers may learn to belay and manage safe rope lengths.
- Knots – Everyone will learn to tie knots, especially how to check and double check knots – the double figure eight is the knot used most.
- Deeper Learning – Learn to double check equipment, ropes, helmets, shoes and the like. Understand the difference between static and dynamic rope, when should one be used over the other? And more!
Climbing Equipment – Tahoe Summer Camps provides climbing helmets, shoes, harnesses, ropes, carabiners and more.
See you on the granite!