- Winter Trailheads + Backcountry
- Trails + Paved Paths + Access
Follow the historic logging road as it leaves Truckee heading up Coldstream Canyon. Follow the historic logging road as it leaves Truckee heading up Cold Stream Canyon. In the winter the road sees little plowing, making this an ideal location for snowshoeing, cross country skiing, and a starting point for backcountry skiing. The mouth of the canyon begins near Donner Memorial State Park and heads west toward Tinker’s Knob standing above on the Sierra Crest. Access is Donner Pass Rd. to Cold Stream Road until it dead ends. Don’t be surprised to find the rustic Lost Trail Lodge hidden about 3.5 miles back on the road as it begins to gain elevation.
Distance: about 4 miles one way
Elevation: 500 feet over first 3 miles, another 500 feet over the following 1 mile
Trailhead: Cold Stream Road - parking where pavement ends, back side of Donner Memorial State Park
- Mileage: About 4 miles one way
- Level/Elevation: Easy-to-Moderate. Gradual about 1000' gain
- Access: Park where pavement ends on Cold Stream Rd. & Donner Pass Rd.
- More Info: